We offer Reflexology at the Aster Baby Scan Clinic Reflexology is a complementary or holistic therapy that encourages relaxation and self-healing. It is a form foot massage where specific points or reflex points on your feet are massaged. These reflex points correspond with parts of the body. Reflexologists use a foot map that reflects the whole body. Energy and endorphins are released when gently pressure is applied and this has general health and wellness benefits.
• Maintaining a healthy balance
• Restoring wellbeing
• Reducing stress and anxiety
• Fertility /Infertility Benefits
During the pre-conception time, it is important to maintain a healthy balance. Reflexology has been shown to help women that are trying to become pregnant by helping relax and there is god evidence of benefit in women's health overall.
Trying to become pregnant can be a stressful time and full of anxiety. Keeping relaxed helps to re-focus the mind. Being mindful helps to keep the body in balance and you are more likely to become pregnant when the body is relaxed. There is good evidence that stress has a negative effect on the reproductive hormones and making them irregular so being relaxed is a benefit.
Conditions that are associated with fertility problems such as Endometriosis and PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) may benefit from reflexology. Reflexology is a good for reducing anxiety , which might be useful where the reason for the infertility is unexplained.
Reflexology is a safe and enjoyable treatment to use during pregnancy. It has the following benefits:
• Low back and pelvic pain
• Pelvic girdle pain (symphysis pubis pain, SPD)
• Reduced Tiredness and fatigue
• If your are overdue or going to have an induction of labour
• Feeling emotional
• Stress and anxiety
• Swelling in feet and ankles and hands
• Anxiety in labour
• Pain relief requirements in labour
• Bringing on labour naturally
• Reducing labour duration
• Less pain relief requirements in labour
• Improved postnatal recovery from birth
• Improved postnatal hormone balance
Reflexology is not suitable if you have a history of:
• A complicated pregnancy
• Increased amniotic fluid or polyhydramnios
• Reduced amniotic fluid or oligohydramnios
• Threatened or premature labour
• At risk of a Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
• Placenta previa (grade 3 or 4)
Reflexology is complementary therapy.
We do not recommend reflexology if you are in the first trimester.
There is very small evidence that reflexology may affect the risk of miscarriage so we recommend avoiding in the first trimester.
When you attend we will check your medical history with you. We ask you to bring your maternity notes if possible.
We always recommend that your check with your GP, consultant or midwife before starting reflexology treatments.
For more information or to book a session, please call our clinic or email us.