Planning A Pregnancy – When is the Perfect Time?
Posted on 23rd October 2018 at 07:25
Let’s start with the facts about the pregnancies today.
• In 2017, there were almost 680,000 live births in England and Wales, a fall of 2.5% from 2016 values.
• The average age of mothers has risen from 26 years old and is now 30 years old.
• Over their reproductive years, women are having fewer children.
• In 2017, fertility rates fell for every age group except for women aged 40 years and over, where the rate increased.
• 1 in 7 couples have difficulties when trying to conceive.
So lots of babies are being born and women are tending to have children when they are older. Certainly more women choose to delay starting families due to their careers and this may be a factor. The traditional definition of a family has changed and all families are now very unique. Since it is normally a good idea to prepare for important life changes, this is useful information when contemplating a pregnancy. It certainly keeps things in perspective and focuses one’s mind on realistic expectations.
Honestly, there is no such thing as a perfect time. It is a decision for the couple to make. They alone know how that bundle of joy will fit into their family life and careers. However, planning is useful and does have benefits.